Cost & Coverage
- Among the many advantages of a TBI stay is a much lower cost in comparison to a hospital stay. However, it is important that you understand what your individual out-of-pocket expenses will be, based on what your insurance policy covers.
- *Please note: Midwife fees are additional to birth center fees and are billed separately.*
You can register to give birth at TBI once you have reached 36 weeks. Clients are eligible to use the facility for their birth between weeks 37 and 42 of their pregnancy. Additionally, please ask your midwife to be sure and send your health records as soon as you register, so your registration can be completed and your health insurance benefits can be verified in plenty of time for baby’s arrival!
Completed registrations include: Consent forms signed, health records on file and registration fee paid by week 36 of your pregnancy. Please include delivery due date and care provider information. Clients must register in person during regular business hours. Please allow up to 30 minutes for your registration process as there are a number policies to read through and understand, as well as consent forms to be signed. We want to take the time to answer any questions you may have, and to make sure you feel ready to have your baby at TBI.
- Be sure to have all of your updated insurance cards with you, as all policies must be billed by TBI. There may be secondary policies for coverage that you may not have considered, such as that of a spouse, or a parent if you are under 26 years of age. A reservation fee of $325 is due upon registration. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, money orders, personal checks, and cash.
- All birth centers in The State of Washington are required under Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 246-329-095 to secure a second trained person is immediately available in the birth center during each birth. To fulfill this duty and ensure optimal safety for each birth, it is The Birthing Inn’s policy to reserve a qualified midwife assistant on your behalf. Midwife assistants, or MAs, are trained in neonatal and adult resuscitation. They are each well versed in birth center procedures and available to assist your midwife any time, night or day, 365 days a year.
Browse our Insurance policy :
click on the options to learn more
+ Private Insurance
The Birthing Inn is contracted with most insurance companies. We strongly advise you to contact your insurance company and ask if your policy covers The Birthing Inn. Please note that we may be listed as “Birthing Inn” rather than “The Birthing Inn”. Your insurance company may need to know the procedure code. This code refers to a facilities cost which covers the use of the Birthing Inn’s facilities to give birth. Our procedure code is 59400SG. Once you’ve confirmed that your insurance will cover your birth at TBI, please make sure they cover the affiliated midwife you have chosen. This is an important step that should not be overlooked. Be sure to ask your midwife which insurance companies she is contracted with.
+ We Accept DSHS
All DSHS health insurance starts out as Provider One. Once established, you select and/or are assigned an insurance carrier that supports DSHS coverage.
- The Birthing Inn is contracted with many of the insurance carriers through DSHS; however, some companies are more supportive of out-of-hospital birth than others.
- If you do not specify an insurance carrier through DSHS, you will be assigned one automatically. This choice of insurance carrier can affect your experience. If you are using DSHS, we suggest that you sign up with Community Health Plan of Washington, or with Amerigroup. These two companies are generally quite supportive of out-of-hospital births, and we have had good experiences working with them.
- At the time you register at TBI, you must present both the Provider One card as well as the card from your assigned insurance carrier.
If you have DSHS insurance, you do not have to provide credit card information at the time of registration per our financial policy. However, the reservation fee is still required to reserve your stay.
+ Military Families with Tricare
The Birthing Inn (facility only) is not able to contract with Tricare insurance at this time. However, we support our military families and appreciate the sacrifices you make. Therefore, The Birthing Inn offers an additional 20% discount on facilities fees for our military families. This discount does not apply to Midwifery fees.
While Tricare will not contract with Licensed Midwives (LM), they do contract with Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM). Please visit the Affiliated Providers page to find a list of contracted CNMs.
Please note that payments completed via credit or debit card are subject to a 3.5% transaction fee.
+ For Moms Without Health Insurance
We want all our families to have the opportunity to experience birth the way they wish. Unfortunately, through no fault of their own, many families do not have access to health insurance.
In order to help families in this situation, The Birthing Inn offers a 50% discount off our facilities fee to families without health insurance. This discount does not apply to Midwifery fees. Please note that payments completed via credit or debit card are subject to a 3.5% transaction fee.
+ terms and conditions
It is The Birthing Inn’s policy to have credit/debit card information on file for each registered client.
- Following your birth, TBI will bill your insurance company. Once your insurance company has paid its portion, you will receive a statement for the remaining balance. You have 45 days from the date of the statement to pay any remaining costs, after which, your credit card will be charged the outstanding balance.
- Please contact Suzee, The Birthing Inn’s financial coordinator, and establish a payment plan prior to your birth. We can, in most cases, carry an additional 45 days for you to pay your balance.
- The Birthing Inn accepts many forms of payment including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, money orders, personal checks and cash. A $45 non-sufficient funds fee will be added to all returned checks. Please note that payments completed via credit or debit card are subject to a 3.5% transaction fee.
- Keep in mind, The Birthing Inn will bill for services as a facility. Your midwife will bill separately as a provider for your prenatal care and birth.
- Should you transfer to a hospital from The Birthing Inn, both The Birthing Inn and the hospital will bill for facility services separately.