Amy Schief, MSW, RM
Specializing in pregnancy, birth, and postpartum issues.
I began working at The Birthing Inn as a birth assistant in 1999 when I was in midwifery school and later was blessed to call TBI my home base while running my own busy practice. During my 15 years at The Birthing Inn I had the pleasure of working with amazing families alongside wonderful midwives, doulas, birth assistants and childbirth educators.
In 2014 I moved to Switzerland, and after a lengthy process (and the addition of a whole new language!) my midwifery license was recognized and I started again working with growing families at a birth center here in central Switzerland.
One of the most striking differences I noticed right away was the special emphasis placed on the postpartum period. Here in Switzerland, women are invited to stay at the birth center (as well as the hospital) for at least five days following the birth often with their partners! The care and attention they receive is amazing and helps to set a positive and supportive tone in the life of a new family. Once the family returns home, a midwife visits the family each day for up to a week, and in some cases longer. This is all part of the benefits she receives through her insurance and is standard of care!
Needless to say, my perspective and knowledge of the postpartum period has changed a great deal and I am thrilled to be offering postpartum support to moms via TBI’s online postpartum support groups. I am also happy to be offering one-on-one postpartum support sessions for moms (and partners) who would like a bit of extra time to talk about all the joys and challenges of the postpartum time.
How she can help…
- Addressing both personal fears and cultural beliefs surrounding pregnancy and birth
- Exploring birth options and finding the best birth options for you based on your strengths and personal wishes, not on what others think you should do
- Processing a previous pregnancy or birth trauma in order to feel safe and comfortable looking ahead to your next pregnancy
Pregnancy coaching: Special guidance and support during pregnancy
- Working together to support you through a stressful or traumatic pregnancy or pregnancy outcome
- Providing additional support during the last weeks of pregnancy: for many women, a time that challenges our sense of control
- Personalized guidance to address your specific needs
Working through birth trauma
- Processing a traumatic or stressful birth experience no matter when in your life it took place
- Providing support for partners and family members who have been affected by a birth experience
Postpartum depression support and counseling